I’ve been in a food rut lately. I just want to cook easy recipes that don’t take a lot of time and don’t require a lot of clean up. My life has become much busier recently and I just want simple meals for dinner. As I have mentioned in previous posts, it is very hard for me to get my husband to eat brussels sprouts. But when I’m cooking dinner, I don’t want to have to cook multiple sides and sometimes a gal just needs some brussels sprouts. So I have been experimenting with ways that my husband will actually eat them.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
Why brussels sprouts in salad form?
This is no ordinary salad. It is best served warm or room temperature and is filled with several dimensions of flavor. What’s makes a salad great are the toppings but what makes a salad shine is the dressing. And if you haven’t experienced brussels sprouts with a lemon vinaigrette then you are missing out. That’s what sets apart this recipe from any other brussels sprouts recipes, the lemon dressing. I also added toasted pine nuts for a great nutty flavor with a nice crunch.
This simple recipe requires little prep which means more time for you to do something fun! Enjoy reading a book, take a bath, give your fur animal a cuddle, whatever makes you happy. With brussels sprouts, I like them roasted until the edges get crispy but if you don’t enjoy those crispy edges, no worries just roast them for less time. That is what’s great about roasting veggies, you can customize them.
Some recipe tips
Before I bestow upon you this fabulous recipe, just remember when toasting the pine nuts, to keep a check on them regularly. It doesn’t take but a few minutes and the last thing you need is for them to burn. Also, it is important to use avocado oil or an oil with a high smoke point for roasting. This is why I do not use olive oil for the roasting process. Olive oil is only used in this recipe after the brussels sprouts are roasted. So without further ado, here’s the delicious recipe. Enjoy!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 16 oz brussels sprouts halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use pink himalayan)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon honey (or vegan sweetener)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with salt, pepper, and avocado oil. Add to a nonstick baking sheet.
- Roast brussels sprouts for 25-35 minutes (depending on how crispy you like them).
- Whisk all lemon vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- A few minutes before the brussels sprouts are ready to come out of the oven, add pine nuts to a pan over the stove on low heat. Do NOT add any oil.
- Toast the pine nuts for 5-8 minutes until slightly brown and fragrant.
- Once the brussels sprouts are finished roasting, pour into a large bowl, add lemon vinaigrette, and pine nuts then toss to combine.
- Enjoy right from the oven or room temp!
This dish will keep in the refrigerator for up two 5 days. I do not recommend freezing.