I wish I was the type of person who could drink a smoothie for breakfast every morning. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. I like variety, some gluten free toast with vegan cream cheese, eggs & turkey bacon, gluten free pancakes, the possibilities are endless when it comes to my breakfast. However, I have been on a smoothie kick lately and I cannot get enough of this Blueberry Pie Smoothie recipe.
If I’m going to drink a smoothie, rest assure it’s always going to have blueberries in it. So that’s why I have been able to drink this smoothie on repeat for the past few weeks. Now this recipe makes two smoothies because I always make enough for my husband, Stephen. Let me make one thing clear, Stephen does not eat as healthy as I do and he hates chia seeds, has no clue what camu powder or spirulina is, but he does love this smoothie.
Blueberry Pie Smoothie
Let’s cover the key elements that should be included into a smoothie if you are drinking it as a meal.
- Protein – If you are drinking a smoothie as a meal replacement or even with other foods at breakfast, you need to include a protein. Getting at least 20 grams of protein for breakfast is so important. I will be sharing a detailed post on this topic later but for now just know you need protein in your smoothie.
- Greens – It can be hard for some people to get enough servings of greens into their daily diet (especially for picky vegetable people like my husband) so adding greens into your smoothie is easy because you can’t taste it.
- Healthy fats – I feel like this one can be overlooked especially if someone is drinking a smoothie to loose weight. No matter what stage of life you are in, healthy fats are important for everyone. They keep you fuller for longer and actually helps your body absorb key nutrients you need. Healthy fats do not make you gain weight.
- Fiber – Fiber is another that can be overlooked but it is also very important. Fiber helps regulate blood sugar levels and it assists tremendously with bowel movements.
- Immunity booster– If I’m making a smoothie, I’m going to take advantage of an immunity boosting powder. Everyone can benefit from a healthy immune system, especially right now during COVID-19.
So now that we’ve gone over what to include in the smoothie, lets discuss the actual ingredients that are included into this recipe.
This is my source of protein. I like using collagen because it is unflavored and doesn’t taste chalky.
This is another source of protein and it’s the most nutrient dense powder you can get for a smoothie. If you are unfamiliar with spirulina, it’s an algae that will do amazing things for your gut and skin. You can use regular spirulina, which is green, but I prefer blue spirulina because it’s flavor is not as strong. If you use regular spirulina, it can be included as your greens as well.
The source of greens and you can’t taste it!
I like to use almond butter as my source of healthy fat but feel free to use any nut butter you like.
I try to include chia seeds into anything I can. This is the source of fiber and it blends into the smoothie well. Chia seeds are also great for gut health and your skin.
If you are thinking what the heck is camu powder, you are not alone. Most people are not familiar with this amazing immunity booster. Camu is 50 times greater in vitamin C per gram than oranges. It also helps boost energy and is a natural source of potassium. This powder is amazing! I swear by it when I’m feeling sick.
Now you may think that because of all the healthy ingredients included, this smoothie doesn’t taste good. Well think again! It tastes like a sippable blueberry pie. I created this Blueberry Pie Smoothie for the consistency to be easily drinkable. However, if you prefer thicker smoothies, just decrease the amount of water. I will link the brands of Camu and Spirulina I use in the recipe.Print
Blueberry Pie Smoothie
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
* If you are planning to drink the smoothie at a later time, do not add the collagen peptides until you are ready to drink it. It will give the smoothie a gel-like texture if it sits for a while.