Bananas foster french toast is there anything better for breakfast? Not that I’m aware of. French toast is a dish that is highly loved in my family. I’ve never met anyone who loves french toast more than my mother. Growing up, french toast was made in my house for special occasions and it was so good.
When we are on family vacation, my mother, sister, and I always try to have a ladies brunch by finding a french bistro and enjoying a big plate of……you guessed it, french toast. This lovely dish can come with many different toppings, it’s usually smothered with heavy cream or milk, and topped with powdered sugar.
I decided to put a healthy spin on the traditional french toast recipe and use ingredients you already have in your kitchen, for an easy and fabulous breakfast or brunch at home. Plus, who doesn’t love everything bananas foster? So I topped this amazing gluten-free and dairy free dish with a delicious banana topping. It makes for my husband’s favorite breakfast!
Follow me on Instagram for more updates.Print
Bananas Foster French Toast
This pantry staple recipe will become one of your favorite breakfast meals! It’s quick, easy, and full of flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2–1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted ghee
- 4 slices gluten-free sourdough*
Bananas Foster Topping:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ghee (or unsalted)
- Place a nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Once heated, add ghee.
- Whisk eggs then add almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk again.
- Transfer egg mixture to a flat dish then place bread into mixture and coat both sides.
- Once ghee has melted, add the egg-coated bread to the pan then drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey on top of each piece of bread. Let the bread brown on each side, approximately 4 minutes per side. Then transfer to a plate and start on the topping.
Bananas Foster Topping:
- Add ghee to the pan again and while ghee is melting, slice bananas into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Pour bananas into the pan and add all other ingredients. This will be a fast process because the pan is already hot. The bananas should sizzle as soon as you pour them into the pan.
- Stir around to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes until bananas are softened and caramelized.
- Top french toast with the caramelized bananas and enjoy!
* I like to use Coco Bakes gluten-free sourdough for this recipe because it’s dense and it holds the egg mixture well. However, you can use whatever bread you prefer!