I haven’t always been a seafood lover. Growing up, no one in my family ate seafood so it wasn’t until I met my husband that he broadened my horizons on all the creatures from the sea. I love seafood now and eat it more regularly than most meat. So when I discovered bang bang shrimp, it was a great day. I love spicy food so a creamy, spicy sauce paired with juicy shrimp, I am all about that!
Of course, like many foods that are delicious, bang bang shrimp is battered and fried, eeeeek. I wanted to find a way to make the delicious dish at home without having to fry it in oil. Then last Christmas, my husband got me an air fryer, hooray! I played around with different concoctions until I created this full flavored recipe. The best part is that this dish only takes 15 minutes to make so it can be easily done on a busy weeknight for dinner and the sauce has only three ingredients! Thank goodness for recipes with small amounts of ingredients!
Don’t let your excitement deflate if you do not own an air fryer because I have created this recipe to use with an air fryer or in the oven. Before I had an air fryer, I would hate seeing these amazing recipes that I so badly wanted to make, but it was for an air fryer only. Talk about a letdown. I’ve got you covered friend! So let’s dive into this delicious and mouth watering recipe shall we?!?
- 1 pound peeled & deveined shrimp
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bang Bang Sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use Primal Kitchen)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 1/8 cup honey
*I prefer fresh, wild caught shrimp. However, if you live in an area where it is hard to get fresh seafood, I recommend buying the wild caught shrimp from Trader Joes, it’s the best.
Air Fryer Version:
- Whisk eggs and set aside. Pour almond flour and garlic salt into a bowl and mix well. Dip shrimp into the egg and then into the almond flour mixture – make sure both sides are coated evenly.
- Spray air fryer with coconut oil and place shrimp into the fryer. Cook shrimp for 8 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Make Sauce while shrimp is cooking.
- Whisk all sauce ingredients in a medium size bowl. Once shrimp is done cooking, pour shrimp into the sauce bowl to coat all shrimp evenly.
- Serve immediately.
Follow directions from number one of the air fryer version. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a baking sheet with coconut oil and place coated shrimp onto a baking sheet about a half an inch apart.
Bake for 7-8 minutes. After shrimp is taken out of the oven. Let them sit on the pan for 2-3 minutes so the breading on the shrimp can set.
Shop The Post: