I have struggled with acne for as long as I can remember. I never knew why it was so bad. I started my period when I was 8 years old (I know, crazy young). I have been dealing with hormonal acne for what seems like forever, or so I thought it was all hormonal.
I have tried every acne cream, cleanser, serum, you name it, I have tried them all, but nothing ever seemed to work for very long. It makes me cringe to think of how much money I have spent on all the chemical based products over the years that were not helping my skin but probably making it worse. If you have been reading my blog for long, you already know that I HATE chemicals. I cannot say enough about how much I hate chemicals and at some point I plan to write a specific blog post about all the ways chemicals can affect your body, but for now, let’s just say chemicals are terrible, especially when you are applying them directly to your face. Your skin is your biggest organ, so it is important to make sure that the topical creams, cleansers, serums, and everything in between is the cleanest that it can possibly be.
However, just cleaning up your facial routine is not the end all be all for getting rid of your acne. Several years ago, I cut dairy out of my diet and my skin started clearing up almost immediately. I tried to slowly start adding dairy back into my diet and within a day or less I would start breaking out again. So I started thinking that maybe some of the foods in my diet were influencing the annoying red dots that kept forming on my face. When I found out I was allergic to gluten and dairy and both were cut out of my diet, I noticed an even bigger change to my face. I have said all that to say this, your gut is a major influence to your skin. The happier your gut is the better off your skin will be. So here are several tips I have found over the years that has completely transformed my skin!
- Drink a lot of water. I cannot express how important it is to get your water intake in every single day. I noticed my skin achieving a glow once I started drinking enough water.
- Take Collagen Peptides. Collagen is so helpful for improving skin, hair, and nails. I have a scoop in my coffee or herbal tea every morning.
- Cut out dairy. I have already expanded on this above so I will not go any further.
- Incorporate Spirulina into your diet. Spirulina is one of the highest nutrient-dense superfoods on the market. You simply cannot go wrong. I could go on for days about the health benefits and I will probably write a blog about this in the near future. Spirulina is an algae so it does have a pungent flavor. You can get it in powder form to put in smoothies or yogurt but I would suggest starting off with only ½ a teaspoon and working your way up to get used to the flavor. You can also purchase capsules to take. I do both.
- Take probiotics. It doesn’t matter how you get probiotics. Whether it be eating fermented foods, taking gut shots, or using a powder or capsule but it is important to include probiotics into your diet daily. A healthy gut is a happy face!
- Cut out sugar. I know, I know, this one is the hardest for me too but sugar is the enemy when it comes to having a clear face. The two things that will break me out the fastest are consuming dairy and sugar! I don’t even have to consume a lot of sugar. I could have one small pastry and the next day I will have a pimple. It’s hard to stop eating sugar but trust me; your face will thank me later.
- Remove your makeup with coconut oil. Gosh I love coconut oil! It’s the cheapest and best makeup remover I’ve ever used. Plus, it keeps your face moisturized!
- Exfoliate. I never used to exfoliate but now I do it at least 3 times a week and it keeps my pores from getting clogged. If you have never exfoliated your face before, then it will get worse before it gets better because your pores will be eliminating years of dirt but it is so worth it! Not only does it prevent you from getting acne but it leaves your face feeling so smooth! My favorite is the Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub by Acure
- Use non-chemical, high quality products on your face. My face completely transformed when I threw out all my cleansers and moisturizers with chemicals and started using all natural facial products. Now just because they are advertised as being all natural doesn’t mean that the product is clean. Do your research. My favorite brands are Primally Pure, Little Barn Apothecary, Acure, and Franklin & Whitman. You can also download the Think Dirty app. It will tell you how clean each product is that you are buying. I use this app every time I shop for something new!
I hope these tips help you as much as they have helped me. Please comment or contact me for any questions you have. I’m happy to help in any way possible. Living with a face full of acne is no fun and I know from years of unpleasant experiences. Self care is key. I know you can do it!